Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday Surgery Update

It is late and I'm headed to bed, but the least I can do for all you wonderful, faithful and kind friends and family who have called, texted, and PRAYED. . . is to let you know that R seems to be doing fine tonight.
Rhyle, November 3, 2013 post-surgery

He finally went in for surgery at 7:30 p.m. They started at 8 pm and were finished before 9:30. I barely had time to leave, pick up the other kids, nurse the baby, kiss everyone goodnight and leave them at my cousins', put gas in the van (which was empty from all this driving!), and get back to the hospital. This was great, because we had been told that the surgery could take up to 3 hours.

The ENT was able to drain the fluid and yuckiness, and shaved off the infected mastoid bone. He opened the ear canal and put a sponge in to receive antibiotics. R also has a drainage tube to allow for more drainage over the next few days. And a tube put in because the ear drum wasn't perforated after all. All this through an incision along the back of his ear. And can you believe we forgot to ask how many stitches? (The main question the other kids will have tomorrow!)

We think he looks a bit like a water polo player with all this gauze and special head gear. To see him sleeping is the best sight for this tired mama. Blessed, peaceful sleep! He will be sore (his ear and his throat from the breathing tube during surgery), but maybe not even as bad as the intense pain he has been in for several days. Praising the Lord for all the good we are seeing and for His hand of protection that we have felt.

(Please forgive me if my medical jargon is off or if I am unclear with my terms and explanations. It's the best I can manage right now and it's all happened very quickly.)


No comments: