Monday, December 5, 2011

Super Black Bean Soup

I've had this recipe since O was a baby! Over time I've adapted it, doubled it, and used it as a soup or a dip. Making this reminds me of clipping it from a magazine when I was a new mom (nine years ago!). I made it for a family get together in IL with that first baby on my hip and it still makes me feel good to make it today. A few of us thought it was a little spicy when I made it this week, but overall it is still a good standby. We often have this with cornbread or tortillas.

Souper Black Bean Soup
24 oz black beans, cooked (3 cups or 3 16 oz cans)
1 and 1/2 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
24 oz salsa (we like chunky, medium heat spicy)
1 lime
3 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1/3 cup plain yogurt (optional)

1. Place half of beans with broth in blender; cover and blend until smooth.
2. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in a little bit of EVOO. Cook 4-5 minutes until onion is tender. Add cumin and red pepper.
3. Add blended bean mixture, remaining beans, salsa, lime juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 20-30 minutes (until flavors meld and beans are tender). Stir in cilantro before serving. Top with yogurt, if desired.

Serves 6.

No comments: