Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Little Sleep Experiment

For the past two nights I have put M (9 mo) to sleep in L's (5) room and allowed L to sleep with me. My goal was to see how M would sleep if he wasn't disturbed in the early morning by my waking and getting ready for the day. I also wanted to see how M would sleep if I didn't nurse him each time he whimpered in the night (okay; I'm exaggerating slightly). Because I never know if his cry will be a 30 second cry and back to sleep OR a 1 hour, inconsolable cry- we nurse in the night. It's quick; it's easy; he's right back to sleep and so I am. It seemed to be working, although I'll admit it wasn't an optimal situation. So, this week has been our little sleep experiment.

A couple of things didn't go as planned. The first night, L woke up around 1 a.m. and needed to use the bathroom. Instead, she turned the light on in HER room and woke M. The second night, shortly after I put M down for the night, she went into her room to choose her pajamas and clothes for the following day. And, of course, she's begging to sleep in her room with him. I'm leaning toward allowing her to, simply because she isn't much fun to sleep with (she takes the covers like The Lawyer does!).

And our clock was wrong. Try as I might, I couldn't set it to the correct hour. Just hoping I could remember that it was an hour fast.

Oh, and I got sick one night and have been weary and . . . just sickish. Hence, I haven't eaten much this week. This effects the milk supply, which makes me think that I ought to nurse in the night.

And, I could give my arguments that nursing in the night is acceptable. I think it is. And, I have five babies that I've tried out these theories on- and I don't think I have any conclusions. I've scheduled my babies, let them cry, not let them cry. . .  and I still just don't really know what's right.

But I am tired. And my husband is out of town, making my bed available for the displaced child, freeing up bedroom space. The experiment is on!

Night 1:
Nursed at bedtime; down at 6:45.
Nursed as I was going to bed; 10:30.
M woke and cried out briefly, several times.
Nursed at 3 a.m.
Nursed at 6 a.m. M did not go back to sleep after this.

Night 2:
Nursed at bedtime; down at 6:30.
Nursed between 10:30 and 11. (I don't mind this one as I'm still awake anyway.)
Nursed at 3 a.m. (one side)
Nursed at 5:45 a.m. (M went back to sleep until 6:45).

Tonight is Night 3.

1 comment:

Cara said...

I've been meaning to call you to see how you approach the infant sleep issue. Isla still wakes up a few times during the night, and I nurse her to help her fall back asleep, too. It's so much easier and faster, but I think we (Danny, Isla, and I) have an unhealthy reliance on it now. I could really use a good night's sleep once in awhile. :)