Sunday, December 5, 2010

Family Pancake

We love pancakes. I make them about every weekend when, theoretically, I have more time. But, I've been wanting something different on weekday mornings that is hot and easy. After looking around a bit, here is what I came up with. It's yummy! And I can use my Falls Mill baking mix! (Loving this stuff because I don't have to use a leavening agent or salt and I rarely add a sweetener. It saves me time!) We have used frozen mixed berries on the bottom (but it takes longer to cook) or apples (and/or fresh or frozen cranberries). I prefer to use our cast iron skillet but have also increased the recipe to 3s and used a 9X13 stoneware dish.


Easy Family Pancake
2 Tbl. butter
2 Apples
2 Tbl. sweetener (we use sucanat or honey)
2 cups milk (we usually use almond milk)
2 cups Falls Mill baking mix (you could use flour and 2 tsp. baking soda)
2 eggs

Looks easy, right? The simple recipe above is the basic plan (so easy I can memorize it), and here is what I usually do:

1. Melt butter in cast iron skillet. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Slice apples (or dice or peel; whatever you prefer!). Toss with sweetener and a little cinnamon. (We also like cranberries; pecans are AWESOME.) Add to skillet. Cook until softening (about 5-10 minutes, depending on how large your slices are).
3. In blender, measure milk. Add eggs and baking mix. Blend until smooth.
4. When fruit is ready, pour pancake mixture over top. Place skillet in 350 oven and bake for 15-30 minutes (depending on your fruits and size of skillet), until golden brown and set in the middle.
5. Cut into wedges and serve with a tiny drizzle of maple syrup. Yum!

No comments: