Saturday, October 22, 2011

Thoughts for Sunday

Currently I am reading the Poems of George Herbert at the recommendation of the woman who sat beside me on the flight from Nashville to Atlanta. It is absolutely wonderful to be reading poetry again and these old poems are like precious gems. Here is one:

Paradise
I blesse thee, Lord because I GROW
Among thy trees, which in a ROW
To thee both fruit and order OW.

What open force, or hidden CHARM
Can blast my fruit, or bring me HARM
While the inclosure is thine ARM?

Inclose me still for fear I START.
Be to me rather sharp and TART,
Then let me want thy hand & ART.

When thou dost greater judgements SPARE,
And with thy knife but prune and PARE,
Ev'n fruitfull trees more fruitfull ARE.

Such sharpnes shows the sweetest FREND;
Such cuttings rather heal then REND;
And such beginnings touch their END.

No comments: