Monday, October 24, 2011

Field of Endeavor

On my nightstand is the book Better Than Good by Zig Ziglar. One of his statements that I've been mulling over is: "The only way to move up from a place of mere survival to stability and from stability to success, and from success to significance, is to engage in a God-inspired field of endeavor that will enable you to bring significant benefit to others."

I am incredibly blessed to be a wife and mother, homemaker and educator, and health advocate. Feels like a lot of hats to wear- and yet how rich this makes me! I wish I always felt rich in these ways. There were times this weak when I felt poor and as if I was merely surviving. (When my favorite colander was broken and then another cow glass and then a precious fruit bowl and then a load of laundry ruined by a red crayon and M's shoes show a hole and T ripped his church pants and more bills arrive. . . )

And still I am inspired! This field of endeavor, this home and these lives are my opportunity to bring significant benefits to others. I see beautiful things in my children as their character develops. There is great joy for me in helping other families with their wellness. It's energizing to watch my children learn. I'm excited about our marriage. We aren't just surviving.

This week we aren't just "hanging in there;" we are loving these life moments:
803) Our first picnic lunch outside on the back porch.
804) Book inspiration
805) Family reading and talking over Scripture at the table
806) Sweet, sweet time with my college room mate
807) M singing to himself
808) L's first tooth (knocked out by a bike crash!)
809) Romanesco Broccoli- so cool!
810) Yellow mums floating in a plastic dish
811) Fuji apples from the orchard
812) Finally- the groceries lasted the month (we're nearly there!)
813) New connections; opportunities to share and grow
814) Personal challenges and growth. How exciting to know I will not be the same person a year from now!
815) Reading all about bats while we sit outside on the lawn (me moving into the meager patches of sunlight as the shadows shift)
816) Not just surviving. . . ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’(Acts 17:28)

No comments: