Sunday, September 4, 2011

Seven Dollar Sunday Dinner

This week I realized that I was murmuring just like the Israelites in the desert. . . As I puttered around the kitchen one morning I muttered, "I'm tired of beans and rice. Beans and rice. Rice and beans. Lord, provide some variety for us!"

Oh! Gasp! That sounds an awful lot like, "We're tired of manna! Manna every day! Give us something else, God!"

So. . . I'm repenting.

And also enjoying a little triumphant moment- feeding my family for about $1/person for lunch today made me feel great. We had watermelon and a version of Hoppin' John that filled everyone right full.

Today's Hoppin' John

1 pound ground venison (free gift to us!)
1 large onion (less than $1)
several stalks of chopped celery (.50)
1 cup brown rice (less than .50)
1 pound black eyed peas (about $1)
7 cups water (gift from God!)
2 cups crushed tomatoes ($1)
creole seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, cayenne pepper, paprika- about 1 tsp of each except a bit more salt and a 3/4 tsp cayenne)(about .50?)

1. Brown venison and saute onion and celery.
2. Put all ingredients in a large pot (or in the slow cooker) and simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.

No comments: