Sunday, June 5, 2011

Berry Good!

It has taken me WEEKS to get these photos on the blog. Sorry! We've been living life and enjoying simple pleasures.

We've had berries on the brain, as you can see by L's great drawing above. Strawberry season here began in early May and we took advantage of it by going picking TWICE. Once at Scott's near Bedford and once at Joe Motley's in Gretna. Joe Motley's is our favorite; the berries were big and juicy, easy to pick, and the least expensive that I found. This year I had great pickers; even when I was busy taking littler people to and from the port-a-potty (as usual!), the children picked SEVEN buckets of berries! I cleaned, hulled, and froze half of the berries on trays (later moved into ziplock bags in the freezer) and we happily consumed the rest in berry shakes, popsicles, a crisp with rhubarb and mulberries, and on top of pancakes and oatmeal. How delicious! Blueberries are next...

Here is a hearty, delicious breakfast of oatmeal with coconut milk and fresh berries. I wish I could capture how truly beautiful it was in the bowl!

No comments: