Sunday, March 27, 2011

Kale Crisps



Yummy!

Our garden is green with kale that I planted in the fall. Such fun to have a spring crop! I've been looking for ways to put this kale to good use. Last week I added kale to our Complete shakes; blueberries covered the color quite well. Then, I tried making Kale Crisps and they went over very well!

First, I trimmed the hard stalks off of a colander full of kale. I tore the leaves into smaller pieces and put them into a bowl. Then, I added about 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a dash pepper. After placing the kale on a large baking stone, I baked them at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes- until they were crisping up nicely.

Despite the reticence at supper to TRY the crisps. . . once everyone had some, the bowl was continually passed around until they were finished. The Lawyer said they reminded him of something else. . . and realized later that they were similar to the crispy leaves of roasted brussel sprouts.

I was telling all of this to a friend the next day and she looked a bit disbelieving. "Yeah," she said, "maybe your kids would like that; they're used to eating that healthy stuff."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just made these a week or so ago for the first time as well! I'd been meaning to try them, and I thought they were great!

Unknown said...

We eat kale every single day around here. All four kids eat it...essential for a vegan diet! The trick is to put it on the plate day after day after day after....