Thursday, January 14, 2010

May 1, Or So

May 1st is what I've been telling people is my due date. This, even though based on my LMP and sonogram the baby's due April 25th.

My reasoning is that most people will remember the May part and forget the actual date. This works better than telling everyone I'm due April 25th; when they only remember the April part they will start wondering on April 1st why I am still pregnant (and asking me, too).

This happened with T. Even though I wasn't due until the first week of August (the 7th or 9th or something), for some reason everyone assumed he would come in July. (The other 3 children were all born before 39 weeks, so this did make sense.) By the time he was born (Aug. 22), everyone seemed to breathe a sigh of relief that he was finally here.

It's just not a great feeling when, for many weeks, people seem surprised to see you and can't stop themselves from asking the question, "So, still haven't had that baby?" No, obviously not. . . but I'm okay with that.

So, since I'm okay with going 40 or 41 or 42 weeks of pregnancy but would rather not worry everyone else about it, I'm sticking with May 1st as my answer. I feel good about it.

Until B and I are talking tonight in the van and all of a sudden it hits me that I really could have a baby in April and that my due date really is only three months away. Yikes! That doesn't sound like much time. May sounds so much further off, so much more. . . almost summery. April is only one month past winter and now is winter- and I could have a baby then.

Sometimes my rounding and estimating gets me in trouble. Tonight was a little reality check for me. Need to get ready for baby. . . check.

No comments: