Sunday, March 30, 2014

Small Things (#2)

Over the past several years, our family has been reading a chapter in Proverbs/day (usually!). It's another one of those small things that I really think matters.

First of all, God promises that His Word will not return empty. . . so I know it's not in vain! Isaiah 55:1 "so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it."

Secondly, I see that after these years the children and I have many of the proverbs memorized. I often start the proverb and let the kids fill in the second half. It's fun! For example, "As a door turns on its hinges. . ." (see answer below!)

If the proverbs are memorized, it is much easier for us to recognize them and talk about them later in the day when our real life sets in. (e.g. "Is this a wise choice or a foolish choice?" and "Are you heeding my instruction?" and "I appreciate your diligence. How will the Lord reward you?"

We didn't set out to memorize the entire book of Proverbs, but one chapter on most days for years and years. . . will produce a harvest of righteousness, I believe.


*. . . "so does the sluggard turn on his bed."

No comments: