Sunday, March 14, 2010

Feta Picnic Salad

I love eating outside. We were gifted a picnic table from neighbors who moved away, and the children and I eat outside nearly every day we can. Not only do I LOVE to soak in the sunshine and feel the breeze, but we all love that no one has to sweep or wipe the table! As I looked outside at noon as I was making lunch, the sunshine looked so inviting that we decided to eat in the backyard (even though it is only March!). I was adapting a recipe from the Treasure Cave Feta cheese, hence we have Feta Picnic Salad. I should have taken a picture! It was pretty and delicious and healthy, too.

Feta Picnic Salad

Dressing: 1 Tbl. fresh thyme
1 Tbl. fresh lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp. honey

Salad: 6-8 cups chopped greens (lettuces, romaine)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1-2 cups (red) quinoa
2 cups croutons
1-2 carrots, grated
1 cup (8 oz.) Feta cheese, crumbled
optional: black olives
oregano
black pepper

1. Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Combine salad ingredients in a large mixing or serving bowl.
3. Whisk or shake dressing again before pouring over salad (at the picnic spot). Sprinkle with oregano and pepper, if desired.

No comments: